Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the Recreation Rebate?
A. A return of a portion of the fees paid by qualified applicants to participate in eligible recreation programs and services.
Q. Who is eligible to apply for the rebate?
A. Property owners and/or persons whose primary residence is within the municipal bounds of Sussex are eligible to apply.
Q. What programs and services are eligible for rebate?
A. Programs and services which are identified in Schedule A of Town Policy CS-17 will be eligible for the rebates identified. Currently these include: Ice Sports (All youth and adult programs being offered at the 8th Hussars Sports Centre).
Q. Can I claim the rebate for my child/children?
A. Yes – if you (the applicant) are the legal parent or guardian of the child AND if your name appears on the receipt for the service in question.
Q. How much is the rebate?
A. Rebate totals are calculated as follows: Youth – 35% of eligible registration fees (does not include try-out fees, or fundraising costs) to a maximum of $300 per participant per calendar year. Adult – 30% of eligible registration fees (does not include try-out fees, or fundraising costs) to a maximum of $90 per participant per calendar year.
Example: Sussex Minor Hockey Registration fee for one child in Peewee hockey is currently $600.00. Eligible rebate is $210.00.
Q. When and how will I receive my rebate?
A. Processing times will vary by program or service, but generally rebates are fully processed and cheques issued within 3-4 weeks. Rebate cheques will be mailed to the address provided.
Q. What can I use for proof of residency?
A. Provide two of the following as proof of residency: (both paper and online)
- A current Property Tax Assessment Notice bearing the applicant’s name and address
- A valid New Brunswick Driver’s License
- An executed lease bearing the applicant’s name and address
- A current utility bill (electricity, water and sewage, gas, or telephone) bearing the name and address of the applicant
- A Medicare or Bluecross statement bearing the applicant’s name and address
- A statement from a utility declaring that the applicant will begin receiving service. The statement must bear the applicant’s name and address
- A current credit card bill bearing the applicant’s name and address
- A current chequing account or savings account statement bearing the applicant’s name and address.
Q. When is the deadline for rebates?
A. January 30th of each calendar year.
Q. How do I apply?
A. See form below.
Please note that all applicants must:
1.Complete all sections of the application form
2. Attach copies of any related receipts. Note that receipts must indicate the name of the person requesting the rebate.