The Town’s EOC Group met today at 1:30 PM local time on a virtual online platform.
The EOC remains at a Level 1 Status – Enhanced Monitoring, unchanged.
The Town’s EOC Group has increased its schedule of regular meetings utilizing a virtual platform to minimize close contact during the meetings over the last several weeks. These meetings will continue on Wednesday’s for the foreseeable future and will be reported internally. Additional meetings will be added should circumstances or other developments warrant additional advisories.
ACTION ITEMS – ISSUES ADDRESSED AT TODAY’S EOC MEETING:
Under the Orange Phase announcement by Minister Shepard on January 25th, 2021, and subsequent announcement of Orange Phase restrictions / amendments to the Mandatory Emergency Order this update is provided by the Town of Sussex.
The Town requests all citizens assist in the mitigation efforts implemented by our Public Health Professionals in our Region. We are in this together and let’s all assist in their efforts. To that end the following information is provided by the Town of Sussex.
2021 ORANGE CHANGES TO TOWN OF SUSSEX OPERATIONS:
News yesterday (January 25th, 2021 PNB news release) from the Province of New Brunswick is that Health Zone 2, our Region will return to the Orange Phase at 11:59 PM January 26th, 2021.
The Town of Sussex is requesting continued cooperation from all residents to follow the directions from the professionals at Public Health to help mitigate the spread of Covid-19.
SUSSEX FIRE – ORANGE ACTIONS IMPLEMENTED:
Sussex Fire Department continues to implement a response complement change to limit exposure and provide effective emergency response services.
Chief Wanamaker has provided the following recommendations to Sussex Town Council for Fire Operations during an Orange Phase:
- Fire Station has been closed to public and will remain that way during the Orange Phase.
- Full time fire staff will return to Orange Phase precautions
- Wearing of masks and vehicle sanitization will continue.
- Firefighters working casual days will resume in the Orange Phase.
TOWN OWNED FACILITIES – ORANGE ACTIONS IMPLEMENTED:
- Effective at 11:59 pm local time, January 26th, 2021 the Town will reinstate public access to Town Hall, the 8th Hussars Sports Centre.
- Service at the each site / Town owned facility’s will resume where possible and maintain social distancing and mask use by all parties entering these facilities in accordance with the Town’s Operational Plan.
- Rotational access to work centers in the Works Garage and Community Services to permit staff to carry out duties will end at 11:59 pm January 26th, 2021
- STAFFING, ESSENTIAL / NON-ESSENTIAL SERVICES:
- Department Heads will continue working on the development of and categorizing all services within the Town of Sussex during any Orange Phase.
- PUBLIC CONTACT:
- The Town will maintain the existing process of guidelines used over the last 10 months to assist Town Staff and residents to maintain social distancing and to provide confidence and comfort to both the Sussex resident and the Sussex staff addressing the service needs of the resident.
- MEETING PLANNING / VIRTUAL PRE-PLANNING:
- The Town will reinstate meeting processes for the Town’s upcoming committee week on February 8th, 2021. However continue to maintain a virtual option should the need arise.
- ORANGE MESSAGING:
- The Town requests all citizens to assist in the mitigation efforts implemented by our Public Health Professionals in our Region. We are in this together and let us all assist in their efforts.
- Public access to the Town’s Tennis Courts, Basketball Court, Ball fields, Skate park, Playground Play Structures, Bark Park and each of their facilities will be reopened to public use effective 11:50PM local time January 26th, 2021.
There is no immediate planning to change the status as a mitigation measure given the winter has made the facilities less than ideal for public use.
- Public access to Town Hall, Sussex Regional Library, Jubilee Hall, and 8th Hussars Sports Centre will operate in the Orange Phase Restrictions.
While the facilities are occupied by staff and patrons during the Orange Phase our message continues for everyone to maintain critical and essential infrastructure throughout the Town. Contact with The Town can be accessed in person or by telephone at our main telephone line (506) 432-4540 during regular business hours and 24/7 though the Town’s answering service at the same telephone number.
- Our focus of maintaining the operations of the Town’s water, wastewater and transportation systems remain our priority. The Town appreciates everyone’s patience with these necessary changes to precautionary measures.
- Town Parks and trails have signage placed at all entrances The Town has and will continue to undertake regular patrols on our trails system located within the municipal boundaries of the Town of Sussex as required by the Provincial emergency directive to maintain public safety.
- As of today’s date January 26th, 2021; the Town continues encourage individuals and families to take time to exercise and be outdoors, but please do so responsibly. Our trails will remain open for use as we believe that they are a great resource for remaining physically and mentally well. The Town advises that if residents do choose to use our trails that they be mindful of maintaining appropriate distances between yourselves and others and also keeping control of your pets. Mask use is mandatory under the ORANGE PHASE. Please observe the Town’s leash requirements and do not let pets run free for the safety of your fellow trail users.
The Town encourages responsible physical activity, and advises the public to stay spaced, wear a mask, stay safe and always stay healthy as we all work through this provincial emergency.