The Town’s Emergency Operations Group (EOG) met today at 3:00 PM local time on a virtual online. The Province has advised changes in Covid-19 levels / restrictions as well as testing scheduled for New Brunswick beginning at 11:59 pm January 04th, 2022 local time.
The Town’s EOC has recommended to Sussex Town Council that the Town move to Level 1 Status – Enhanced Monitoring to focus on providing emergency services and winter maintenance service to Town residents.
The Town’s EOC Group has reintroduced its schedule of regular meetings utilizing a virtual platform to minimize close contact during these meetings.
This Virtual EOG meeting highlighted the following:
- Our Health Zone is in a delicate state / situation that could be described as in a combustive state, and the need of everyone’s active participation in all Public Health measures are needed to reduce contacts and maintain physical distancing.
- Evidence of extensive and rapid acceleration of cases that prompted consideration to review the Town’s operational methods were necessary at this time.
- The province’s Winter Action Plan / Level restrictions that have been provided by the Province news release on Friday December 31, 2021.
- Escalating case counts in a very short time in our Health Zone, in our community requires operational changes.
- The number of service providers and close contact professionals currently experiencing some level of isolation. Given this reality municipal operations could experience similar impacts.
The Town will announce the following changes to upcoming events:
- The Town Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) will move to Level 1 Status – Enhanced Monitoring effective January 04th, 2022 beginning at 8:00 am.
- The Town will implement a split shift of municipal works operations to minimize contact between staff members and their assigned teams. Town Administration will hold a meeting at 7:30 am January 04th, 2022 to discuss two shifts daily from 6:00am – 2:30pm and 1:30pm to 10:00 pm, alternating weekly with CUPE Local 2163 agreement related to the shift changes as outlined in the Town’s collective bargaining agreement with our outside workers. It is highly likely this new method can begin Wednesday January 05th, 2022 beginning at 6:00am.
- Operational changes necessary to maintain emergency readiness of the Town’s Volunteer Fire Department is being actively assessed by the Chief and Officers of the Sussex Fire Department.
- Maintaining limited-service contacts within the community to lessen impact between staff and our service patrons when requested onsite or inhouse visits for the protection of the residents and staff.
- Town Administration will complete the purchase and installing VPN services on two (2) laptops to provide the necessary tools to be operational from any location in the greater Sussex area.
- The Town’s EOG group has assessed changes to the operations of the 8th Hussars Sport’s Centre. It is believed no changes will be implemented but this status will be reviewed continually.
- The Town will begin and maintain symptomatic testing of Town staff as necessary.
- The Town has received its first shipment of N95 masks and additional PPE for municipal operations.
- The Town will move to a virtual meeting platform for the January 2022 and will reassess the February meeting cycle for committee and Council meetings scheduled later in February 2022.
Next EOC meeting is scheduled for 3:00 PM local time, Wednesday January 05th, 2022. It is our intent, unless otherwise warranted, to provide the next Public Update report on Wednesday January 05th, 2022 at 3:30 PM. Additional considerations will likely result given the fluidity of the current situation.