Wednesday April 1st, 2020 Update Report #9 – 3:30 PM.
The Town’s EOC Group met today at 1:00 PM local time at the Town’s Emergency Operations Centre following the teleconference with Dr. Barker, District Medical Officer of Health. Dr. Barker’s provided a verbal update and took questions from the group.
Next teleconference with the District Medical Officer of Health has been scheduled for Wednesday, April 7th, 2020 at 1:15 PM. Immediately following this teleconference the Town’s EOC group will again conduct a situational update meeting at the Town’s Emergency Operations Centre and from various remote locations.
The EOC remains at a Level 1 Status –Enhanced Monitoring, unchanged.
The Town’s EOC Group continues with a schedule of regular meetings at the Town’s EOC on Monday, Wednesday and Friday’s for the foreseeable future.
ACTION ITEMS – ISSUES ADDRESSED AT TODAY’S MEETING:
Teleconference with Dr. Barker, the following issues and recommendations were discussed:
- On today’s date – 81 cases in NB. Three new cases in Region 2.
- Dr. Barker is expecting the peak week to be the week of April 21st, 2020 in NB.
- After that date there is expected to be a gradual release of restrictions, if, conditions warrant.
- Restrictions will be re-implemented if conditions warrant.
- Most cases to date have been mild symptoms.
- Rural Test sites at Health Centres, then transported to Regional Labs in Moncton for analysis.
- Adequate supply available of PPE for health workers. More ordered.
- Dr. Barker addressed / provided an opinion on the written direction / order from WorkSafe NB received by a municipality as a result of two staff traveling in a single vehicle. WorkSafe NB directed the use of surgical masks by both vehicle occupants. Dr. Barker’s opinion is that masks are not necessary, and will clarify in a teleconference scheduled at 4:00 pm with her office and WorkSafe NB. The results of this meeting will be communicated to the group.
- Dr. Barker encourages separate work clothes and clothes from home with each set washed daily for essential workers involved in public contact.
- Building inspections to new construction and renovations were discussed. Contact with occupants of renovation sites should be avoided.
- Addresses a recent 911 call dispatched when covid-19 measures were not communicated to the first responders prior to arrival. This communication error needs to be corrected.
Other Operational Issues;
- The EOC Group reviewed the wastewater pump repair conducted on Tuesday March 31st, 2020. Total repair not complete, however normal operation of the WWPS is maintained.
- The Town has secured the necessary supply of disposable seat covers for use in Town vehicles.
- The Town has forwarded to Public Safety for enforcement two businesses operating within Sussex that should be closed following public complaints. Each operation will be advised on today’s date of the necessity to close by provincial enforcement officers.
- The EOC Group reviewed with each department any operational issues experienced during our essential service operation. Now in day fifteen (15) of our operational changes, no changes have been implemented as a result of this meeting.
- Public access to the Town’s Tennis Courts, Basketball Court and Skate park, playgrounds, Bark Park and facilities remain locked from use. There is no change in status in this mitigation measure.
The Town will continue to request Town residents respect the direction and closure necessary under this Provincial Emergency for the safety of everyone.
- As of today’s date Wednesday April 01st, 2020; the Town continues encourage individuals and families to take time to exercise and be outdoors, but please do so responsibly. Our trails will remain open for use as we believe that they are a great resource for remaining physically and mentally well. The Town advises that if residents do choose to use our trails that they be mindful of maintaining appropriate distances between yourselves and others and also keeping control of your pets. Please observe the Town’s leash requirements and do not let pets run free for the safety of your fellow trail users.
- The EOC Group is has completed the process of setting up a virtual meeting platform for Sussex Town Council. A test meeting will be undertaken on today’s date at 6:00 PM to identify issues with the electronic platform in preparation of our upcoming meeting schedule later this month.
- The EOC Group is in the process of setting up the necessary preparation for a teleconference call in meeting for the next Planning Advisory Committee meeting scheduled for April 22nd, 2020.
- The Town has requested the Regional Service Commission 8 review the Town’s recommendations relayed by our collection contractor late last week.
Next EOC meeting is scheduled for 10:00 AM local time Friday April 03rd, 2020. It is our intent, unless otherwise warranted, to provide the next update report Friday April 03rd, 2020 at 3:30 PM.