The Town’s EOC Group met today at 10:00 AM local time on a virtual online platform.
The EOC remains at a Level 1 Status – Enhanced Monitoring, unchanged.
The Town’s EOC Group will continue with a schedule of regular meetings, and will now utilize a virtual platform to minimize close contact during the meetings, unless conditions warrant assembling at the Town’s Emergency Operations Centre. These meetings will continue on Monday, Wednesday and Friday’s for the foreseeable future.
Next teleconference with the District Medical Officer of Health has been scheduled for Wednesday, April 8th, 2020 scheduled for 1:15 PM. Immediately following this teleconference the Town’s EOC group will conduct a situational update meeting using a virtual online platform.
ACTION ITEMS – ISSUES ADDRESSED AT TODAY’S MEETING:
- The Town has secured the necessary supply of disposable seat covers, and necessary PPE for use in Town vehicles and use by Town staff.
- The Town has received communication from NBEMO that enforcement actions have been carried out with businesses operating within Sussex that should have been closed given the emergency declaration by the Province of New Brunswick. Voluntary compliance has been achieved to date.
- The EOC Group reviewed with each department any operational issues experienced during our essential service operation. Now in day twenty (20) of our operational changes, no new changes have been implemented as a result of this meeting.
- Public access to the Town’s Tennis Courts, Basketball Court and Skate park, playgrounds, Bark Park and facilities remain locked from use. There is no change in status in this mitigation measure. The Town appreciates everyone’s patience with this necessary measure.
The Town will continue to request Town residents respect the direction and closure necessary under this provincial Emergency for the safety of everyone.
- On Saturday April 4, 2020 the Province of New Brunswick, Department of Local Government notified New Brunswick Municipalities that if trails or parks were to remain open that appropriate signage is now required on these facilities to advise residents using the facilities the need of the social distancing requirements that are in place. In addition, municipalities are to establish regular patrols of the facilities to monitor the requirements of the signage are maintained by the users of these facilities. On today’s date the Town will place signage at all entrances to the Town’s trail system and will begin to maintain regular patrols on the trails system.
- As of today’s date Monday April 6th, 2020; the Town continues to encourage individuals and families to take time to exercise and be outdoors, but please do so responsibly. Our trails will remain open for use as we believe that they are a great resource for remaining physically and mentally well. The Town advises that if residents do choose to use our trails that they be mindful of maintaining appropriate distances between yourselves and others and also keeping control of your pets. Please observe the Town’s leash requirements and do not let pets run free for the safety of your fellow trail users.
- The EOC Group is has completed the process of setting up a virtual meeting platform for Sussex Town Council. The platform tested as expected, and this group has used that platform for today’s emergency control group virtual meeting.
- The Emergency Control Group has reviewed river data available as of today’s date to assess if there are issues related to spring melt of snow cover. Continuous monitoring will be ongoing over the next several weeks by the Town’s Emergency Control Group.
Next EOC meeting is scheduled for 1:00 PM local time Wednesday April 8th, 2020 immediately following the teleconference with the District Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Barker. It is our intent, unless otherwise warranted, to provide the next update report Wednesday April 8th, 2020 at 3:30 PM.