Tuesday March 17th, 2020 Update Report #1 – 2:00 PM.
The Town’s EOC has been activated to a Level 1 Status – Active monitoring.
The Town has participated in a teleconference with emergency and municipal officials in Regions 8, 9 and 10. Dr. Kimberly Barker, Regional Medical Officer of Health led the teleconference with situational information on the mitigation efforts to limit the transmission of the Covid-19 virus.
The following is a summary of decisions as reviewed at the EOC Groups meeting held at 11:30 am Tuesday March 17th, 2020:
The EOC will be placed at a Level 1 Status – Enhanced Monitoring beginning at 3pm local time March 17th, 2020.
SITUATION REPORTS – UPDATE REPORTS:
- The Town’s EOC group will prepare and undertake regular reporting on a daily basis.
- The Town will monitor daily press briefings undertaken by the Provincial Chief Medical Officer of Health scheduled for 2:30 PM daily.
- The Town will participate in the weekly teleconference call with the District Medical Officer of Health and Region 8, 9 and 10 EMO Officials.
- The Town will advise and direct C0VID-19 information through the PNB website issued by the Chief Medical Officer of Health. https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/ocmoh/cdc/content/respiratory_diseases/coronavirus.html
- Effective at 5:00 pm local time, March 17th, 2020 the Town will limit / restrict public access to the Sussex Fire Station, Town Hall, the 8TH Hussar’s Sports Centre, Sussex Regional Library, and the Town’s Works Garage.
- Service at the each site will be undertaken remotely via the telephone, cellphone, facsimile, email and other electronic means where possible.
- Rotational access to work centres will be undertaken to permit staff duties.
- All service deemed essential will be attempted to be scheduled to provide minimal staff interaction within Town facilities.
STAFFING, ESSENTIAL NON-ESSENTIAL SERVICES:
- Department Heads have been working on the development of and categorizing services into essential and non-essential.
- Staff meeting scheduled for 3:00 PM local time to discuss the mitigation efforts.
- The Town has deemed the operation of the Municipal Water System as an essential service. The following operational changes will be undertaken:
o Potability testing undertaken within private residences will be relocated to external access points to maintain potability testing and to satisfy the Town’s testing requirements under its approval to operate.
o Sewer system operational testing will remain unchanged, but the system will be operated as a critical public service.
o Winter maintenance operations will be maintained as an essential service uninterrupted for the remainder of the winter.
o Staffing will be implemented in a rotational sequencing to maintain operations daily, but limit contact with others.
- Sussex Fire Department developing response complements to limit exposure and still provide effective emergency response services.
- The Town will develop guidelines to assist Town Staff and residents to maintain social distancing and to provide confidence and comfort to both the Sussex resident and the Sussex Staff addressing the service needs of the residents and maintaining an acceptable social distance and mitigation measures to offset, where possible, the spread and transmission of the virus.
VIRTUAL MEETING PRE-PLANNING:
- Community Services Director and the Assistant Town Clerk will be developing the operational requirements of conducting virtual council meetings in keeping with the Local Governance Act of New Brunswick, specifically Section 69 of the Act, and given the circumstances of the COVID-19 mitigation effort.
- In addition testing will begin on a remote meeting setup to develop the necessary online tools to communicate remotely with staff, elected officials, and other parties conducting business and receiving services by the Town.
We continue to closely monitor the situation to ensure the ongoing safety of our citizens and strongly encourage everyone to stay informed.
For more information on the COVID-19 and travel advice, please consult the following links:
PHAC (Travel Advice)
Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health