The Town’s Emergency Operations Group (EOG) met today, January 28th, 2022 at 10:00 AM local time on a virtual online platform. The Province has advised changes in Covid-19 levels / restrictions for New Brunswick beginning Friday at 11:59 pm January 28th, 2022 local time.
The Town’s EOC will remain at Level 1 Status – Enhanced Monitoring to focus on providing emergency services and winter maintenance service to Town residents.
The Town’s EOC Group has introduced its schedule of regular meetings utilizing a virtual platform to minimize close contact during these meetings.
This Virtual EOG meeting highlighted the following:
- Our Health Zone is in need of everyone’s active participation in all Public Health measures to reduce contacts and maintain physical distancing where possible and to follow public health guidance.
- implementation of the Town’s operational methods where necessary have been evaluated and recommendations have been submitted to Town Sussex Council. Beginning of Saturday January 29th further changes to municipal operations will begin.
- The province’s amended Winter Action Plan / Level restrictions that have been provided by the Province news release on Thursday January 27th, 2022.
- The province has published an amended sports and recommendation guidance document on January 27th, 2022. This will assist the Town in returning the 8th Hussar’s Sport Centre to an active operational mode.
- Escalating case counts in our Health Zone, in our community, in our corporation requires operational changes.
- The number of service providers and close contact professionals currently experiencing some level of isolation continues. Given this reality municipal operations have experienced similar impacts.
The Town will announce the following changes to Municipal Operations:
- The Town has implemented a split shift of municipal works operations to minimize contact between staff members and their assigned teams. This practice will continue for the foreseeable future
- Town Administration offices, and visitation to Town Hall will reopen to the public on January 31st, 2022 beginning at 8:30 am. The Town will advise residents of the changes in upcoming communication on how best to request service, to visit Town Hall, to set up an appointment, and to provide information on options for payments to the Town.
- Operational changes necessary to maintain emergency readiness of the Town’s Volunteer Fire Department and active operational changes have been implemented by the Chief and Officers of the Sussex Fire Department will continue
- The Town will continue to maintain limited-service contacts within the community to lessen impact between staff and our service patrons when requested onsite or inhouse visits for the protection of the residents and staff for the foreseeable future.
- The Town’s EOG group has recommended to Sussex Council changes to the operations of the 8th Hussars Sport’s Centre beginning at the activation of the Level 2 provincial restrictions and the new Sports and Recreation Guidance published on January 27th, 2022.
- The Town continues symptomatic testing of Town staff, as necessary.
- The Town will move to in person meetings in the February 2022 meeting cycle and will continue to reassess future meeting cycles for committee and Council meetings.
- As of today’s date, Friday January 28th, 2022; the Town continues encourage individuals and families to take time to exercise and be outdoors, but please do so responsibly. Our trails and parks remain open for use as we believe that they are a great resource for remaining physically and mentally well. To assist in providing an enhanced trails experience the Town has secured grooming services for 2022 and we thank our service provider in providing this community opportunity to our trail’s users.
- The Town advises that if residents do choose to use our trails and facilities that they be mindful of the Level 2 Winter Plan requirement of wearing a mask while using the Town’s Trails when distancing is not possible and maintaining appropriate distances between yourselves and others and also keeping control of your pets. Please observe the Town’s leash requirements and do not let pets run free for the safety of your fellow trail users.
- With the approval of Town Council, the Town will return to normal operations in accordance with the Sports and Recreation Guidance dated January 27th, 2022 at the 8th Hussars Sports Centre,
- The Town encourages responsible physical activity and advises the public to wear a mask while on our trails when physical distancing cannot be maintained, stay spaced, stay safe and always stay healthy and help each other as we all work through this provincial emergency.
Next EOC meeting is scheduled for 3:00 PM local time, Wednesday February 2nd, 2022. It is our intent, unless otherwise warranted, to provide the next Public Update report on Wednesday February 2nd, 2022 at 3:30 PM. Additional considerations will likely result given the fluidity of the current situation.