As the holiday season approaches, the Sussex Fire Department would like to remind everyone about fire safety and the extra fire hazards the season brings and help us “Keep the Wreath Green”.


For the month of December, there will be a wreath illuminated with green bulbs hanging in front of the fire station. For each residential fire call that occurs one of the green bulbs will be replaced with a red bulb.


With the hectic holiday season and additional use of fireplaces, candles, live Christmas trees and holiday decorations the risk of fire in the homes increase. Residents need to take extra precautions during this time. Here are some helpful tips:


 Choose holiday decorations carefully, using those made of flame-resistant, flame-retardant or non-combustible materials.
 NEVER leave candles unattended and keep them away from decorations.
 Carefully inspect all electrical wires, connections, bulbs and extension cords before using them.
 Turn off all lights and extinguish all candles before leaving the home.
 If choosing a live tree look for signs of freshness by pulling branches through your closed fist. Fresh trees should retain their needles during this test. Provide a fresh cut to the trunk of the tree and immediately place the tree in water. Keep the tree watered while in the house. If the needles start to fall off easily this is a sign of dryness.
 Don’t locate trees near heat ducts, open flame, or in front of doors or windows that might be needed as a means of escape from your home.
 Don’t hang stocking from the mantel when the fireplace is in use.
 Make sure there is a working smoke alarm on each level of your home.

Let’s all work together to “Keep the Wreath Green”

Harold Lowe
Fire Chief

Go to top