The Community Services Committee is looking to solicit interest of securing a number of volunteer citizens / residents to begin the planning of making the Town of Sussex an Age Friendly community. It is envisioned that interested individuals willing to serve on this ad-hoc committee of the Town of Sussex Council would be a two (2) year commitment.
The Town is currently assessing becoming an age-friendly community through the formal ongoing process described at the following link: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/health-promotion/aging-seniors/friendly-communities.html To assist Sussex and help our community with this process, it is believed the Public Health Agency of Canada in collaboration with key partners developed the Pan-Canadian Age-Friendly Communities Milestones (Milestones) will be available to the Sussex Age Friendly Committee. These milestones in the process will describe the steps a community needs to follow to successfully apply the age-friendly Communities model in Canada. The process and key partners recognize that communities have different needs and available resources to take action in the eight (8) domains of community life. The committee by adopting a "milestones approach" that focuses on the process, it is believed the Town of Sussex can successfully become more age-friendly.
The following are the Pan-Canadian Age-Friendly Communities Milestones to be reviewed and undertaken by committee while working through the process of making the Town of Sussex an Age Friendly Community::
- Establish an advisory committee that includes the active engagement of older adults.
- Secure a local municipal council resolution to actively support, promote and work towards becoming age-friendly.
- Establish a robust and concrete plan of action that responds to the needs identified by older adults in the community.
- Demonstrate commitment to action by publicly posting the action plan.
- Commit to measuring activities, reviewing action plan outcomes and reporting on them publicly.
If you are interested in participating please consider being part of the Town’s new Age Friendly Community Committee and complete the form below.